Pages

Sunday, September 8, 2013

What I have Learned About Auditory Processing Disorder in Two Weeks...


      Each of my clients this semester are very different. One client has the diagnosis of Auditory Processing Disorder(APD) and I knew nothing of this disorder. I even asked my friend who is a psychologist and she could not tell me much. So what did I do you may ask? RESEARCH!!!!

      My good friend www.google.com had an abundance of resources. So here is the quick and dirty rundown on APD.

Statistics from 

National Coalition of Auditory Processing Disorders

  • APD affects how the brain processes auditory information (i.e. language).
  • APD causes difficulty in processing verbal information and a person's ability to ignore background noise.
  • Experts do not agree on a definition for APD .
  • What experts do agree on:  
    •  There is a breakdown in receiving, remembering, understanding, and using auditory information.
    • Hearing ability is adequate. 
    • There is a neurological basis.
    • The child’s ability to listen is impaired. 
  • ADD or ADHD is commonly associated with APD. 

Treatment 

Lindamood Phoneme Sequencing Program

       
        My client had completed the Lindamood Phoneme Sequencing Program a.k.a. the LiPS program. So I needed to learn it over a weekend in order for me to know what she knows. So, I learned as much as I could, but I am weak at best in its implementation. I can see that she understands it well, which is great for me. I hope to fully understand LiPS soon. Here is a link to the website LiPS
      I can say the LiPS program starts at the phoneme level and makes each phoneme a tactile experience. The program has fun names for each phoneme (consonants) based on manner, placement and voicing. 
     There are Orthographic Expectancies, which are spelling rules to follow. There are also different techniques used to determine "fair" words which follow the ruIes, and "unfair" words which are exceptions to the rules. 
     A vowel circle is used as a step ladder system to explain manner and placement of each of the vowels. I noticed the back of the manual had information for SLPs who work/speak different dialects of English. I thought that was very interesting.
      The LiPS kit comes with colorful cubes used to represent phonemes. They are used to practice manipulation of sounds. It also has felt squares, but I am not sure what their use is. My client has already surpassed this level with her previous graduate clinicians.
       

My Therapy Sessions

       Since my client is further along, we are working more toward her complete independence and application of the knowledge she gained going through the LiPS program. Mainly, her school work is used as an opportunity for her to apply her knowledge. I have also been using various articles appropriate to her abilities and reading level. Writing skills are also will also be improved and a rubric is used to evaluate the essays written by the client.

       By far, there is more information about APD all over the internet. Also, many other techniques can be used in treatment. Please leave feedback about the helpfulness of this post or its lack thereof.

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment